Have a French Pastry School account? Sign in
Syllabus: L'Art du Gâteau - LAG - Cake Business Planning
LAG - Cake Business Planning
This course module provides in-depth lecture focusing on critical knowledge needed to operate a successful wedding cake business such as pricing, working with customers, determining cake portions, design, packaging, and delivery logistics. Career counseling and guidance in setting each student’s career goals are provided.
Students the Course is Expected to Serve:
This course is a necessary component to completing the 16-week L’Art du Gâteau – The Professional Cake Decorating and Baking Program.
Pre-requisites and Co-requisites:
The pre-requisite for this course is Food Service Safety & Sanitation. Co-requisites include Baking and Pastry Theory, Cake Baking and Construction, Cake Decorating Techniques, and the Capstone Course: Final Buffet.
- The student will learn the critical components of planning, establishing, and operating a cake business including pricing, working with customers, determining cake portions, design, packaging, and delivery logistics.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- The student will be able to explain the core elements involved in pricing, determining cake portions, and working with customers when operating a cake business.
- The student will be able to compute the per-portion price of a cake that yields optimal revenue.
- The student will describe the myriad ways to design a cake according to the customer’s preferences, and how to conduct a customer consultation in order to determine their tastes while pricing the final product fairly and with optimal revenue yield.
- The student will explain delivery logistics, whether delivering from a large establishment (e.g., hotel or large restaurant) or a small cake boutique, including the steps one must take to successfully deliver a cake (e.g., transportation, packaging, installation techniques).
- Cake business fundamentals (14 hours lecture; 0 hours lab)
Methods of Instruction*:
- Whole-group discussions facilitated by the chef instructor
Methods of Evaluation*:
- Appropriate and accurate responses to instructor’s questions during class exercises
*Further explanation of the Methods of Instruction and Evaluation across the program may be found in the Catalog.